Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Weekend!

Hey everyone, I hope your football weekend was a blast! We had a great weekend getting ready for the big game and now that the festivites are over, I thought I would share a little bit about our healthy football food.

Super Bowl parties mean delicious game day treats, right? I will admit that salty snack foods are a favorite of mine and I'm the first one to dive into some chips and dip, but this year I wanted to health up our spread. I didn't break the calorie bank but I didn't sacrifice taste either!

Chili is a traditional game day food in my family and this year we decided to make our own version sans meat. Don't get me wrong, meat chili is delish but we just weren't feeling it. We made a 3 bean chili from scratch with some amazing dehydrated and ground up chili peppers. The peppers were grown lovingly by a friend of ours in his garden. Hooray for backyard gardens! It turned out great and I credit most of its success to the haphazard way I tend to cook (what are measuring cups again?) and letting it sit overnight then simmer low and slow for several hours.

On the snack side, we had pita chips and hummus, sweet potato chips, and steamed edamame in the pods. All of these things are super healthy, easy to make on your own if you so choose, and are able to be shoved into your mouth between drives. That's what football food is all about right?

One of our other friends brought us some fried chicken from her family's fried chicken restaurant and it was sooo good. Come on, you didn't think we would leave out the chicken did you? Moderation is key so having a mostly healthy spread of food allows you to splurge on the greasy stuff!

So that was our spread for the big game and I have to say, the chili was the real winner! Now begins the countdown until next season!

Note: If you live in or near Jacksonville and haven't been to Beach Road Chicken Dinner, make sure you try it! And because I am looking out for everyone's health as well as their taste buds, they have grilled chicken too!

No comments:

Post a Comment