Saturday, May 25, 2013

Active Afternoon with Mom

Happy Saturday!

Right now I am on a mini vacation in Sarasota, FL to celebrate Memorial Day and my parents' 27th wedding anniversary! While I've been in town, I've been finding all sorts of fun outdoor activities to do around town and so far, today's adventure was my favorite. My mom and I went out to this cool new man made hill to walk to trails before stopping by the farm store and then we headed home to make some amazing pesto and avocado grilled cheese with veggie chips. On top of all of that, I spent the morning relaxing out on the beach with friends. It's been a very active vacation.






Fresh from the farm store: pesto, avocado, spinach, and mozzarella grilled cheese with dehydrated veggie chips

The other day I posed the question on the Real Health Facebook and Twitter about whether vacations are a time to fit in exercise, or if it's more of a free pass. I definitely think that it's fun to find activities to do wherever you are, even if its more leisurely than your normal exercise routine. Here are some of my favorite places in Sarasota to enjoy the city while also getting a workout:

Siesta Key Beach: If you haven't been, go now. Seriously, book your trip. The sand is pure white and soft, perfect for walking or jogging.

The Ringling Bridge: This is the infamous bridge where I hurt my hip, but it is still one of my favorite spots in the city because the views of the bay can't be beat.

The Celery Fields: This is the place we went today and it was so much fun. There are trails leading up and down the hill and paths around the ponds. It is also a mecca for bird watching. Very cool site and offers a great uphill workout! 

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment