Saturday, April 27, 2013

Almond Butter Breakfast

Happy Saturday!

This morning I'm going to share with you my almond butter recipe. If you've tried almond butter before then you know how expensive it can be, but it's not if you make it! If you're a peanut butter lover but haven't tried almond butter, then give this a try.

You need a food processor (mine is the mini version from Cuisinart and it works jut fine) to make the butter and a bag of dry roasted almonds- feel free to roast them yourself if that suits you!

Now my secret ingredient is something I mentioned yesterday: coconut oil. Not everyone has this at home and it is a little pricey if you buy it at health food stores, but Publix had a big tub of it for $5.99 so I would try there first. The reason I love coconut oil in this is because it has a very mild flavor but also because its not quite solid or liquid at room temperature, which means less separation of the oil from the butter later on. Seriously, I hate stirring nut butters back together every time I want to use them.

Here we go:

1/2 cup almonds, skins on or off
1/ tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of salt

That's it! I like to start the almonds in the processor first and then add the oil at the crumbly stage. You could add a little honey or agave to sweeten it up, but I like it plain on toast. I ate it this way this morning in fact!

Have a great weekend and get a little nutty!

No comments:

Post a Comment