Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Introduction to the Blogging World

I recently read a quote that said "If you don't exist in the media, for all practical purposes you don't exist". Pretty harsh right? I mean, how many of us really have our names out there in the media? Well, the more I learn about being a professional or even just getting out there and making a difference the more I have realized how true that statement is.  So here I am, inspired to take the plunge into the world of blogging and maybe, just maybe, make a difference.

So here is my story, may it lead to my eventual "existence":

I have always had a hard time with my health. Migraines, acid reflux, joint injuries, vision issues, allergic reactions, fainting spells...and that's just the beginning. I like to say that I have everything that won't kill you. With all those conditions comes a lot of doctors and a lot of medications with a lot of side effects. Anyone who has had a chronic condition knows what I mean. One of the more joyful side effects that I experienced was weight gain. My senior year of high school I gained about 20lbs which I thought was the worst thing that could ever happen to me and at 17, it probably was. Then I went to college and gained some more weight, hated the school I went to, didn't enjoy my major, gained some more weight, and eventually ended up in a state of what I know now to be depression.

After a few too many days in bed watching tv (Kardashians of course) and ignoring my friends phone calls, I decided to get out of bed and do something with my day. I went to the park down the road and decided to go for a walk. That was it, just a walk and then back to my bed to watch more Kardashians. Then the next day, I went for a walk again. Blame it on the beautiful fall weather in Florida, maybe I just needed some vitamin D...who knows but I started to pull myself out of my rut. Every day I would walk a little more until I was walking about 5 miles a day, then jogging some of the way, then eventually I started running for the first time in my life. I started eating better out of necessity as I was finding that I couldn't sustain any activity if I wasn't eating at least somewhat balanced meals. Through the process, I found that I really liked cooking healthy food and if I did it right it actually tasted great!

Nothing drastic, nothing dangerous, no quick fixes. I just started to eat better food and exercise more and I lost more than 30lbs in 5 months. The best part about it was that I had found a new passion in life at a time when I needed it most. I transferred to the University of North Florida to study nutrition and dietetics and haven't looked back since.

So why am I here? I'm just interested in sharing my health tips and nutrition knowledge in the hopes that maybe I can pull someone out of their rut before they watch all 7 seasons of Keeping Up With the Kardashians. It's not about weight loss, it's not even about weight. It's about being a real person with a real schedule who can be really healthy too. Real Life Real Health.

-Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment