Monday, June 10, 2013

Semi-homemade Blueberry Greek Yogurt Muffins

Happy Monday everyone!

Usually I bake something wonderful on the weekends to satisfy my sweet tooth through the week (if it lasts that long!), but I took it easy this past weekend and left the baking as a Monday activity. I was looking in the cabinets and wondering what I could make with what was left, since it's my most creative culinary day: the day before grocery shopping. I had a container of plain Greek yogurt that I wanted to use up, so I thought maybe a healthed up blueberry and sour cream muffin, using the yogurt in place of the sour cream would work. I then went to the cabinet and before I could grab the flour, I saw a box of multigrain pancake mix from Trader Joe's. Often, baking mixes for pancakes can also be used for making biscuits and muffins and I decided to try and make these semi-homemade. The batter looked very thick going into the muffin pan, but trust me, it comes out moist and delicious.


Here is the recipe:
2 cups TJ's multigrain baking mix or any baking mix you have on hand
1/2 cup sugar
1 container (6oz) Greek yogurt
2 eggs
1 cup frozen blueberries (fresh would work here too!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately, add the yogurt/egg mixture to the dry and mix until just combined and DO NOT overmix. Fold in the blueberries gently and spoon about 1/4 cup into each cup of a lined muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and let cool before serving! Makes 12 muffins.

Beautiful, blueberry muffin! I like my muffins plain but you could top these with a little bit of butter, a little bit of cream cheese, or even some coconut oil if you prefer it that way.



Jacksonville is not fortunate enough to have a Trader Joe's, but Sarasota is and since that is where my parents live, you can bet I stock up on goodies to bring back with me! If you don't have a TJ's near you, just find the best baking mix you can for these. Don't be afraid of making some healthy substitutions in your baking if you've never tried it before! I like this guide to substitutions, but I would suggest only trying one per recipe at first.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment